Friday 15 February 2013

Packing lightly



15/02/2013

If you have followed my blog from the beginning, you may recall a post about what to pack to make my trip.

I thought I would do a quick update on the things I have found most useful since I got here, even though it has not quite been a month. Those things are:

  •  -      Waterproof flip flops; great for wearing in the shower for hygiene reasons and for putting on after the numerous foot washes I have in the day (wearing sandals on the dirt tracks makes your feet very grimey).
  • -      Wind up torch; we’ve had various power cuts here, sometimes several in the same day. Also, once I turn off the light and I climb into bed and sort my mosquito net out, it proves to be great in ‘lantern’ mode to continue reading etc.
  • -      Needle and thread, so far I have repaired my pj shorts and a pair of knee length trousers (I keep snagging them on things). Plus the handle of my reusable shopping bag, and I have hemmed a pair of trousers for one of the UK volunteers, in return for my burger lunch being paid for J
  • -      Pen knife, courtesy of my Papa Bill. It has also been dubbed my ‘death tool’ but has been used for many things while I have been here.
  • -      Hair braiding, I am so very glad I learnt to French braid my own hair before I came. I didn’t learn because I was going away, but because my hair was finally long enough to do something interesting with it. The heat is so intense I can’t bear to have my hair down, scraping it into a ponytail everything is so dull, and braiding it keeps all the wispy bits out the way too.
  • -      Pill sorting box, the various magic pills I have to take each day are nicely stored in clip boxes that have the days of the week on because sometimes its so hectic or I am so out of sorts form a routine I forget if I have taken them or not. Great wee organiser

TThat’s it for now, no doubt as I progress in weeks I will find great uses of the other things I stowed away to bring here.

Kx

No comments:

Post a Comment