Sunday 10 February 2013

Obesity swallows hunger as world’s top health problem


08/02/2013

Whilst at a hotel resort at the weekend, I picked up a newspaper that was written in English. The newspaper is called The Reporter and it is an Ethiopian paper, printed in English. The copy I have is dated 26 January 2013.

Whilst flicking through, the above headline caught my eye. One of the main stereotypes associated with Africa by the West is hunger and famine. It is easy for people to assume that all Africans are starving. From what I see in Awassa, there is plenty of food available here. Whether is it the right type of food and affordable for all is a different matter; one that can also be discussed to great lengths.

The article I read was written by Dr Corry Couillard, an international healthcare speaker and columnist, who also collaborates with the World Health Organization (WHO) on their goals for disease prevention and global healthcare education. It is safe to say he is a trusted source.

The gist of the piece is that obesity is becoming a global problem, one that is overtaking hunger at a great pace. It brings with it many other costs, not just financial but also medical. Excess weight can cause cardiovascular issues and diabetes to name just a couple, the list is endless.

“The global obesity epidemic is a problem that threatens a lot more than one’s health. It is a direct threat to the nation’s social, economic and physical health. Obesity is largely preventable and treatable with the implementation of sustainable educational programs and improved healthcare policy.”

The key is that we should also educate on the effects of eating and living an unhealthy lifestyle. For many their lifestyle revolves around spending little on food and more on other things, thus eating cheap food which has no value to their body. This, to some extent, is worse than not eating at all.

As a child, I recall many occasions where I refused my food, and I was often reminded that ‘there are children in Africa starving, but you want me to throw this food away’. This statement is not incorrect, it is the efforts of a mother trying to ensure her child eats what they need to grow and be healthy. A point in the article states that your environment as a child greatly affects your relationship to food as an adult, and your ability to pass on that information in future life. I would agree, as an adult, I dare not to take more food than I can eat and certainly would feel disdain if any went to waste. I also consider most meals incomplete if they do not include nutritious elements, balanced with the tasty things we all know and love.

What I ponder the most is how the tables have turned and globally obesity is overtaking hunger as a huge health problem. Is either issue easy to resolve? Will they ever balance out to allow for global harmonisation of food levels?

I always resolved to be healthier, eat well, and exercise more – but as with many people it can be a bit of a fad rather than a true lifestyle change. If our generation does not stick at it, what will the future hold for the generations that follow us? The responsibility must be greatly shared between many areas.

That is your food for thought, excuse the pun. No doubt the full article I reference can be found online at www.thereporterethiopia.com

Kx

Again, I touch on this enormous subject very lightly; my intention is to bring matters up for people to take their own interest in and make their own judgements, rather than to lecture in depth about them. I am far from being ‘in the know’ of such things, but like to think that in the right time I can educate myself, and likewise, so can you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment