Tuesday 26 February 2013

I’m hungry, give me money



25/02/2013

I’ve heard the above phrase a few times; it seems that children and adults here have learnt a handful of English sayings to aim at the foreigners they see on the street.

The sad thing is, what they are saying is often true, but then again many other people do not know the meaning of what they are saying. For example, a well-dressed boy, with food in his hand said to me “money, money, I am hungry. Ferenge give me money” and it dawned on me that they may learn these phrases on the off chance the person they aim them towards feels a twang in their heart. Often I do, but I cannot give something to everyone, and if you are seen to give to some then you are harassed by others. It is a vicious circle because giving directly reinforces the perception that all foreign people are rich and can give things away, but walking by and not doing anything is so incredibly difficult when you feel you could help.

You may recall my HIV Survivor story about Helen, her life story evoked the most emotion from me of those I have heard so far. I found myself wondering at night whether she had eaten today or whether she had prioritised her children eating over her own health. It has niggled away at me ever since I met her, so I resolved I had to do something. The small act may have been just to settle my own mind, but also to provide some temporary relief for her and her children.

I am a believer that just throwing money at a problem does not necessarily have your desired outcome. So rather than just give money, I went to the local shops and bought her 2kg rice, a pack of spaghetti, a bag of seeds & nuts, 1kg onions, 1 cabbage, 1kg carrots, a pack of ’enriched’ salt, 6 eggs, 4 pieces of bread, 3 body soaps and 1 laundry soap - amounting to around 150Birr (just over £5). With my counterpart, I took them to her home and let her know that I had been thinking about her. Like I have said, it is a small gesture, which provides temporary relief but I felt it had to be done.

She was incredibly grateful, and completely surprised to see us again. To thank me she prepared coffee, in the traditional way. We sat outside; she gathered grass and flowers and set about roasting the coffee beans and preparing the cups. A couple of her friends joined us, and their children. One of her neighbours came to sit and spin her yarn while we were together, and the boys of the compound played football around us. We came to learn that her third child had gone back to the family of her birth mother; I could not help but think that this was terribly sad for her but to an extent lessened her burden. It was nice just to do something that is so normal for the local people. I sat admiring this woman who has struggled so much in life and a still has a smile on her face.

I am sure I will be back to see her again, part of me feels responsible for getting her the aid she so desperately needs. She shared her life story with me, an honour not many people receive. Teddy and I will be championing her story to secure her future and that of her children. The area she lives in is due to be ‘redeveloped’. Soon she will have to find a new home, I sincerely hope that she can sustain herself and her children somewhere safe but also know that her situation calls for some direct action if any of this is to prevail. 

Kx

No comments:

Post a Comment