Friday 25 January 2013

Kimberly 1 - 0 Ethiopian Toilet

They say every single volunteer can bring skills to their placement, never did I think mine would be of the plumbing kind.

Much to many people’s misconception, Ethiopia does indeed have toilets. Much like those we get in the UK; ones you sit on, with a water flush (although similar to many countries in Europe, you cannot flush toilet paper – no biggie).

I happened to notice the toilet in my room seemed to constantly be filling, so I went in to investigate. Upon lifting the lid to the cistern, it was in fact nearly brimming to the top with water. Just as well I spotted it!

With a bit of jiggery pokery, some pleading and the help of a Swiss army knife, I managed to rectify the problem. So, thanks goes to my Papa Bill for the Swiss army knife and to my Daddy for making me help with the DIY at home – without such things I would surely have been ankle deep in toilet water.

Sadly my manicure did not survive this experience.

K x

P.S No they do not teach this in the girl guides, but I think maybe they should!

No comments:

Post a Comment