Wednesday 5 February 2014

Reflecting

Hello again! It has been a while since I did any Ethiopia related blogging, however the time has lapsed so much so, that this time last year I was in the midst of my adventure. I was thinking about how I could reflect on my time away and decided that I should publish a few of my diary excerpts. 

Now, don't get your hopes up for any profound words of enlightenment, think teenage angst in diary format and that's closer to what you'll get. I used my little notebook as a way to have the conversations I couldn't have, the regular boring stuff rather than tough stuff (the tough stuff will stay with me and has already had a lot of exercise in various discussions). It was the simple stuff that I wanted to note down, its so easy to forget it and actually it triggers a few other memories and thoughts. 

I want to pick my selection at random rather than skim through and give you the bits I feel like sharing, so every now and then (when I remember or have some keyboard time) I will publish the entry from the date which matches current day or the entry closest to it as I didn't write every day. If I have photos to use I will slot them in where relevant too, and maybe at the end give a few annotations on the excerpt. 

~ ~ ~
Sunday 3rd February 2013 (morning)

Today is Craig's birthday, hopefully I can get some internet access to send him a message. I tried to have a lay in today, but there was so much noise outside and then I got woken up by knocking at my door just as I nodded off. I don't think a Sunday lay in is part of their culture!

I had papaya juice and coffee for breakfast again, they were encouraging me to eat some wheat/barley but I just cant face food as soon as I get up. 


There are two kittens in the courtyard. One of them is tied up with string and seems to have a broken tail, it's probably only a few weeks old, tabby tortoise and white - it breaks my heart. I think they are hungry or want to play. The other is white with bits of grey, a little bigger than the one tied up but just as vocal. I gave them a pet and got some odd looks. I wish I could take them home! 


I've just been shown how to make injera, it's much the same as making crepes really, except on a wood fired hot plate. When they are fresh they are pancake coloured, but after a few days they go grey and taste really bitter. They use 'tef' flour and water to make them, the batter is about the same consistency as pancake mix. 

I think my host family will go to Church today - I am hoping they will so I can have some time to myself, I feel like I am always being watched (plus there is a young girl in the courtyard, no more than 6 feet from me watching me write this!). It is much like being a young adult at home with strict parents. Scenarios like this make me appreciate my own home and space in the UK. Young people here live at their family home until they marry and often have strict curfews and rules to live by until they go. 

~time lapse to afternoon~


Louisa and I went to the Lewi Resort today, it is close to where we live and we heard it has WiFi. It is nicer than the Haile resort, much more relaxed and 'holiday' styled. There were monkeys just lazing about, I need to take my camera next time! The WiFi is not very reliable. then again, I am currently sat in the dark, writing by torch light as they power has gone out - it's been going on and off for a couple of hour. So I guess the power isn't very reliable either! The phone network is much the same with text messages being delayed and calls not connecting. 

Whilst at Lewi a few Irish people came to talk to us, they are here doing some work in Shashemene; www.hopeandafuture.co.uk. Goodness knows how the locals understand their Belfast accents as even I was struggling!


I think dinner will appear soon, it's eight thirty now, the football is on but the power cuts are interfering. I think I may run out of notebook if I carry on writing at this rate, I need to try and ration my writing time! Just have to add that I managed a rather satisfying poo today, in a nice loo! I think normality will resume soon - yipee!

~ ~ ~

For me, the kittens were a little slice of home, I have two cats which I love having as company and really did miss while I was away. These two were so cute and tiny that I couldn't resist showing them some affection and I think I taught my neighbours that a little love goes a long way. A few days later they were gone, I didn't know their fate but I didn't expect it to be good. Until a couple of weeks after that on my walk home a little cat strolled out onto the road to meet me around the corner from my compound  and insisted on some tickles. My heart just melted. 

I got used to being a bit of a spectacle and being watched eventually, I put it down to curiosity and also did my fair share in return. I guess the regular things I felt I was doing were quite intriguing and vice versa. 

I have to admit the phone and power networks were a lot more sophisticated than I expected, and whilst it was sometimes tedious having to write or read by torch light, to even have power to start with was very much appreciated. It essentially encouraged you to find other things to do when need be, and there is something quite nice about gathering together with your (Ethiopian) family around a candle or torch lantern even if we aren't saying much. 

Lastly, that little update at the end on my bowel movements might be too much information for you, but I was certainly suffering from a shy bladder/bowl in the first few weeks.  Feeling constipated and out of sync is no fun when you've got your home comforts, never mind without. My regular consumption of papaya for breakfast soon sorted it all out and made me feel a whole lot better! 

Kx




No comments:

Post a Comment